Bath School of Motoring and Lanham's Driving School Limited

Bath School of Motoring and Lanham's Driving School Ltd

Successfully delivering Driver Training since 1963

Driving in Europe Post-Brexit

From 28th March 2019, drivers from the UK  will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.  In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.

If you are a licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK licence for a local EU driving licence before 29th March 2019.  From that date , in the event that there is no EU exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country in which you live to be able to carry on driving there.

You should consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence as soon as possible.  Increased demand may lead to longer processing times and delays to exchanging driving licences the closer it is to March 29th 2019.

If you return to live in the UK, provided you passed your driving test in the UK (or another specified country), you can exchange your EU licence fo a UK licence without taking a test.

Driving Licences and International Driving Permits

On 28th March 2019, the type of international driving permit (IDP) that some countries outside the EU and EEA recognise will change.

From 29th March 2019, in the event there is no EU exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in the EU and EEA countries.

If you hold a UK driving licence you should not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from March 29th 2019 as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries. RAC Europe spokesperson said: “If no deal is reached, motorist planning on taking their car to EU country after 29th March 2019 may be required to apply for one or possibly two different IDPs.  “From 1st February 2019 IDPs are available only through the Post Office at at a cost of £5.50 per document.  At present, motorists do not require an IDP to drive in EU states.  “An IDP may also be required for UK drivers hiring vehicles when in the EU.  But ultimately, whether and IDP is required is independent on negotiations between Government and the European Union.”

Government advice states:  “Your driving licence may no longer be valid by itself when driving in the EU.  If you move to another EU country to live, you may not be able to exchange your licence after the UK has left the EU.”

Trailer Regulations

From 8th March 2019, you must register commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg before they can travel to or go through most Eu or EEA countries.

You can voluntary register non-commercial trailers that weigh over 750kg but there is no legal requirement to do this.